Friday, October 15, 2010

My changing frame of reference


This week I had the privilege of taking a break from my normal work routine to attend the 3rd Botswana International HIV/ AIDS Conference in Gaborone. It was a fantastic conference with many international speakers-- coincidentaly, several of them were from my alma mater, the U of W. I met people from all over the world and even got to know some of my co-workers, who were also attending the conference, a little better. However, one of the most striking things about my experience at the conference was realizing how much my frame of reference has changed since my arrival in Botswana.

The conference was held at the conference center associated with the hotel I stayed at my first night in Botswana. This was the first time I had returned since my arrival in July. Before I came to Botswana, I decided that, in order to ease my transition, I would make reservations at an 'upscale' hotel for my first couple of nights. The hotel looked wonderful on the website and I was excited to arrive. However, when I got to the hotel, I was sadly disappointed. Having just come from 3 weeks of living in the Hyatt in Bethesda while attending Global Heath Seminars at NIH and tearing up the town with Mom and Jessie at some of Boston's finest restaurants, it is safe to say that I was tough customer. So, when I was at the conference hotel in July I found it lacking in many ways. In fact, after the first night, I canceled the remainder of my reservation in hopes of finding better accommodations.

Now, fast-forward 10 weeks to my more recent experience at that same conference center/ hotel in Gaborone. When we drove onto the conference grounds, I recognized the place, but at the same time, it was completely new. I noticed the manicured trees and the shined furniture. It was the same place I had been before, but my expectations and frame of reference had completely changed. My gut feeling is that this shift is a good thing- being easier to please. So, that's my story of my changing frame of reference- from chagrin to charmed... in 10 weeks.

1 comment: