Thursday, February 17, 2011

Mochudi clinics

I am impressed by the apparent accessibility of primary health care in Mochudi. There are a dozen clinics dispersed throughout the village and surrounding areas. So most residents have a clinic near them.



Another interesting aspect of health care here is that patients keep their own medical records. The records look like Pee Chee portfolios and many patients decorate the outsides of their records with magazine clippings and other art. Pregnant women get separate ante-natal records. This is apparently very convenient when a laboring mother presents at a clinic other than the clinic where she usually goes for check-ups. One nurse told me that women who are near their expected date of delivery carry their record EVERYWHERE they go... just in case.

This is a picture of the garden at one of the clinics in Mochudi. The staff gives some of the harvest to patients and sells the rest to help support clinic activities.



Here is flowering tree that I walk by each morning on my way to work. I was mesmerized by it and finally thought to take a picture of it so that I could share it with YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment