Thursday, March 10, 2011

Footprint?


I am almost ¾ of the way through my time in Botswana and this realization has prompted me to think about what ‘footprint’ I want to leave here when I return home. As a scholar, I know that meaningful research moves slowly and I will not likely be able to claim any enormous breakthroughs in HIV/ AIDS research. However, I have made numerous breakthroughs in my own professional development that will contribute to the work I do from this point forward. Living and working in Botswana, I have developed friendships with people from all over the world; while at the same time, living nearly 10,000 miles away from my friends and family has strengthened existing bonds as well.

Living day to day in Botswana, I have been able to appreciate the challenges and opportunities facing this developing nation. This has radically changed the way I understand my own country, made me thankful for the blessing of being ‘born in the USA’ and given me a deeper perspective from which to view and interact with the world. This experience has taught me that, while I came to serve and to contribute to the good work that is going on here, I have received more than I imagined. So maybe the better question is, 'what footprint will Botswana leave on me?'

By the way, this is a picture of a lion's paw print from our safari over the Christmas/ New Year holidays.

2 comments:

  1. Keep up the Good work ! Botswana is great but as expats we all miss our families and homes xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oftentimes when we go out to serve others, we end up being blessed more than we've been able to bless them.

    I'm really proud of your accomplishments! Gooo Katie! Take care!

    ReplyDelete