Monday, July 26, 2010

Arrival in Botswana

I have arrived in Gaborone. The 15.5 hour flight from NY to Johannesburg was actually quite nice- I had a good seatmate and got some rest.
Here are a few signs I encountered that reminded me that I was in for a long flight:
I arrived at my seat to find a handy little packet (special World Cup edition) filled with toothbrush/ paste, sleeping mask, and slippers.
Just after watching the third in-flight movie, someone behind me commented to her traveling companion that ‘we only have 7 hours to go.’ By the way, I watched Valentine’s Day, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, some Nicholas Sparks- inspired movie and part of Alice in Wonderland.
After arriving in Gabs (as in Gaborone) I went to my hotel- which turned out to be somewhat underwhelming. Exhausted and tired, I think I was dually disappointed and needy of some unavailable TLC.
This morning (Monday) I made it to the Botswana Harvard Partnership and am getting to know the staff and researchers who I will be working with. Everyone here has been very helpful.
I have a phone, but I cannot seem to make calls to the US, yet.

4 comments:

  1. Hugs from far away!
    Phil and I are thinking about you and praying for you during this wonderful journey of discovery. The end of the semester is wrapping up here. We'll be on our way to Crater Lake Saturday for a short respite. Learn all that you can so you can come back and teach the rest of us!
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,
    Glad you made it to Botswana safely. What a great idea to create a blog. I can't wait to see your future posts. Take care.

    Nicole Armitage

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie,
    I had no idea you were on your way to Botswana until last week. Congratulations! Glad you had some down(or up) time to catch up on some movies. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences. Hey, you can be warm for a while!
    Erla

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting, Katie! I am proud of your venture. I look forward to keeping up with all the experiences through the blog. I will send you a cool breeze from afar.

    Alecia

    ReplyDelete