Thursday, July 29, 2010

Combi Nation



The Combi is the most common form of transport in Gaborone (according to my pseudo-scientific appraisal). I think it will be the most reasonable way for me to get around. Combi's are vans that hold 14 people and are limited to 80K on the highways. The picture on top is the outside of the Combi and the picture on the bottom is the inside... don't worry, we were not upside-down. What you see there is the view you do NOT want to have from the back seat. Can you guess which passenger is me?
Today, I took my first Combi ride- home from work. Tomorrow, I will try getting there that way.
I miss you, Dina (my Honda) and Spokane Transit!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with those Kombi rides! The upside down photo is a bit puzzling; how'd you get yourself in the picture AND have it upside down? Must be that "south of the equator" thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last day of school for the summer here! I'm taking the bus and thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to an informal poll of my house-mates, "Combi" is the appropriate spelling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi katie, kombi´s are very comon in peru too, those are major problems in public health here, because they are one of the majo risk factors for car accidents

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is a problem that had not occurred to me as being in the realm of public health until now. very interesting. thank you for your comment. is there a higher proportion of car accidents higher in peru than in the u.s.? in comparing rates of accidents in peru and botswana, i would speculate that perhaps the terrain of peru may make it a greater peril in that country?

    ReplyDelete