Sunday, November 14, 2010

Ah, to read for pleasure! (and other musing)



The pace of living here has given me the opportunity to read literature other than scientific journals and text books. My recent reading list has included The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (purchased as my major indulgence during my recent trip to Australia), The Poisonwood Bible (borrowed from a house-mate) and now I am reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (sent to me, along with a few other enticing titles, by my dear friends in the USA). Oh, and I am finishing up reading through the Bible in a year--- which I started out listening to on the Daily Audio Bible Podcast, but have had trouble downloading it since being in Botswana, so I've resorted to just reading it the old fashioned way.

Other musings:

I have decided that, given the choice between having no electricity or no water, I will always choose having no electricity. However, I get grumpy when both services are cut off at the same time.

Today my friend, Rachel, took me to her church which holds its Sunday morning service at a local (private) primary school. These giraffes (pictured) are an example of the beautiful, whimsical artwork that adorns the campus.

Also today, when I responded to a Matswana woman's question about where I was from, she responded with enthusiasm, "Oh! You are one of Obama's children!" I've never really considered the US President (Obama or any other) to be my parent, but I guess some people do.

This coming week, I will be visiting all of the schools in Mochudi collecting examples of behavioral messages targeted at HIV/ AIDS prevention. One of the controversial messages that is prominent in the schools is "HIV KILLS." I'll blog more about that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment