Saturday, April 23, 2011

Those crazy Americans

Usually I blog about things that I find interesting thinking that others will find them interesting, too-- which is very egocentric. One of my blog readers suggested that I blog about things that I do that Batswana think are weird-- or uncouth.

I've come up with a few:

1) Hoarding: There has been some fear that the border-crossings would be impacted because of the current labor strikes. I was discussing this with some co-workers and I told them that I was going to the store to stock up on food and water. They laughed and said that this was 'very American' of me and implied that I was paranoid. Indeed, the food supply has not been interrupted (yet).

2) Talking through my nose: Recently a co-worker asked me to 'say something in American.' When I complied, she said that I sounded nasaly.

3) Drinking too much water: Soon after I arrived from the USA one of my co-workers said something like, "what is it with Americans and water... you guys drink too much of it." He noted that I carried a bottle of water with me wherever I went and I perceived that he thought it was very peculiar, probably hard on the kidneys and completely unnecessary.

4) Rolling in dough: There is a general perception that if you are from the USA you are rich. I am routinely asked by people to give them my shoes, clothes, pens, etc. as if I have an endless supply (this may relate to the [somewhat accurate] hoarding stereotype). Unfortunately, I do not have an endless supply-- but I do plan to leave many of these coveted belongings in Botswana when I leave.

The truth is that I may never know the things that Batswana find 'interesting' about me. I definitely attract a lot of stares and comments/ questions when I am out and about... if only I could read peoples' minds.

Thanks for the blog suggestion!

No comments:

Post a Comment