Thursday, April 21, 2011

Trash talk



One of the fun things about living in a country other than the one you've grown up in is that everything is interesting... even garbage. When I first moved to Botswana, I was disgusted by the amount of garbage I saw everywhere. In the USA, I have been known to approach people who I see littering and ask them to properly dispose of what they've thrown on the ground. So, since moving to Botswana, I have had trouble biting my tongue when I routinely see people throwing candy wrappers, banana peels and other rubbish on the ground.



In some areas there is evidence that people try to put garbage in a designated spot. But in others, there is not.



At my house, we do pay for and have garbage service-- theoretically. Sometimes they come and collect our garbage, and sometimes they don't.



Also, there does not appear to be much of a recycling effort here. I used to separate my rubbish, but then I noticed that it was all eventually getting put in the same bin, so I've stopped. (Although I know the newspapers get passed on to someone who uses them for bird bedding).

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ms. Katie. I stole one of your pictures for my blog without your permission. =~( But it's a cool picture? I found it through Google Images, doing something like religious trash, or something.

    But I'm glad I found your blog. I perused it, and it seems like you had an adventure!

    Anyway, I linked your picture back to you, but if you want me to change it I will!

    http://mrsundquist.blogspot.com/2012/03/religion-like-filthy-rags.html

    ReplyDelete