Sunday, December 12, 2010

The fruits of the Spirit



But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. There is no law against these things! (Galatians 5:22-23 New Living Translation)


A wise person once advised me to be very cautious about praying, "God, please produce the fruit of the Spirit within me." This person suggested that I may not really WANT God to teach me, for example, patience.

I thought this was very sage advice, but I have prayed this prayer anyway... and God is definitely teaching me patience. He has evidently selected a few individuals and circumstances to be my primary lessons, but on the whole, I can say that living and working in Botswana has been somewhat of an immersion program in this area. You may have heard of language immersion programs where you go live in, say, South America and learn Spanish, but you likely have not heard of a patience immersion program. That is what I am enrolled in- a patience immersion program. I am learning to wait on the Lord- as well as my fellow man.

Thankfully, this immersion program is also helping me develop the other fruits of the Spirit- love, joy, peace, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. May God bless each of us with opportunities to develop each of these fruits.

2 comments:

  1. Katie - all developing world experiences are immersions in patience. Unfortunately for me I still haven't learned it thus I am going back for more. Love you blogs!! When do you come back?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie!
    Good things come to those who wait and there are seasons for everything! Only our God makes everything perfect in His timing!
    You're where God wants you to be. You are beautiful and you are complete in Jesus. :)

    ReplyDelete