Thursday, August 5, 2010

Hail and farewell



One of the unique and stimulating characteristics of BHP is the flow of world-class scholars who come and go. Today we had a celebration luncheon to say goodbye to two undergraduate scholars from Harvard University and welcome Gaone and me as the newest Fogarty Scholars. In the Navy we referred to such an occasion as a ‘hail and farewell.’ So, now I have been officially hailed aboard! The pictures above are from our celebration at Sanitas-- a nursery in Gabs that is an oasis of beautiful plants and water features.

On another note, I have decided it will be important for me to learn the Setswana language. I have (so far) had no success contacting two sources that were recommended for taking Setswana lessons, but I am continuing to pursue them. In the interim, there are a few terms and phrases that I have learned. They are not Setswana, but they have helped me get around--- and may give you a little chuckle:

“I work in the A&E” = I work in the accident and emergency department in the hospital

“Cross the flow-over and turn left” = cross the overpass and turn left

“Go past the robot” = go past the traffic signal

“That will cost 20 Pula” = that will cost approximately 3 dollars

“Would you like a plastic?” = Would you like a plastic sack for carrying your groceries (which you have to pay for)?

“Where do you stay?” = where do you live?

“Where do you sit?” = where is your desk/ office?

“The meeting starts at 8:00” = the meeting might start by 8:25

“Condomize” = do don a condom


3 comments:

  1. There is an iPhone app for learning Setswana.
    It is called uTalkSetswana. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one addition to the phrases. When I visited my nephew in Zimbabwe years ago, he proudly showed me the library he had helped them start in his school. The new librarian smiled widely and stood next to a sign he had made by the journals "Pure articles". It took me awhile but turns out that it was the interpretation of "Periodicals".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes our 'mis' understandings add new meanings to things- wouldn't it be nice if the periodicals were filled with 'pure' articles... alas blinded peer review is intended to instill some 'purity'

    ReplyDelete