Monday, August 9, 2010

This weekend I went to the farmer's market and found a pet...




You'll be happy to know that I did not find my pet at the farmer's market, though.
First the farmer's market:
So, Rachel and I had planned to go to Mokolodi (not to be confused with Mochudi- where the clinic-base for the study I am working on is, or Molepolole where another BHP clinic is) for a mini-safari/ game viewing day. However, we had both had tiring weeks and we decided to go shopping instead. There is an international school in G-West (my neighborhood) and we spent the afternoon there. It was fantastic and relaxing. The sales booths included PTA members selling used books, a meditation professional advertising her personal coaching sessions and senior high school students selling grilled sausages. This outing to the farmer's market was the first time I felt connected to the community. I saw two of my co-workers who were also shopping at the market-- and, amazingly, I remembered each one's name and made the appropriate introductions. Weee! I also met several new people who I hope to connect with in the near future. The market is a monthly event, so I hope to return in September.

As for my pet: I noticed I have several lizards living under the clothes lines at my house. They are just darling and I have named the littlest one (pictured above) Geiko.

Oh, and I also found a church that I think will be my new church home for the duration of my stay in Botswana. I may visit a friend's church during an upcoming Sunday, but I think this one is a 'keeper.'

1 comment:

  1. There is nothing like retail therapy! It looks like everything is off to a great start. Looking forward to reading your blogs. Take Care, Dr. Catherine Van Son (aka tuliprose)

    ReplyDelete