Thursday, August 12, 2010

My 'commute' home



To follow-up on my day-to-day experiences, here is a picture I took on my way home one day this week.

I have two options for getting home: taking a combi from the hospital to the bus station and then walking from there to my house (about 1.5 km's) or walking all the way from the hospital to my house (4 km's). Either way, I walk through the bus station (which is where I took this picture). If I walk the whole way, I go SW through the Main Mall, and across the highway using an underground pedestrian tunnel. This is where I meet up with the combi drop-off point. So, whether I combi or walk up to this point, the next part of my journey involves walking over the railroad tracks on a pedestrian 'flow-over' and then through the bus station- which is filled with people selling fruit, candy, "Nike" shoes, taxi rides, newspapers, Coke (the beverage that comes in a red can), and pre-paid cell phone minutes. Then I walk by a few stores, including where I buy by groceries, and head into my neighborhood.

The temperature is very pleasant this time of year (25 degrees Celsius or about 75-80 F). The past few days have been rather windy, though. So everything is extra dusty. People are mostly pleasant but dodging the traffic is exhausting. Drivers definitely rule the roads and shoulders (there are not always official 'sidewalks'). I have found the best way to cross the street is to join a cluster of people who are crossing and follow their lead.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie,
    Wish it was more pedestrian friendly! Your commute sounds challenging, to say the least!

    ReplyDelete