Saturday, August 28, 2010

No. 1 Ladies'


Okay, this one is for all you fans of Mma Ramotswe, Mr. JLB Matekoni and the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series of books by Alexader McCall Smith. Today a friend picked me up and took me out to the No. 1 Ladies Opera House wwhich is just south of the Gaborone CBD. The Opera House is a re-fitted garage that hosts events and live performances. We were there for the monthly food and farmers' market- a lovely event with live music and good company. The top picture is the sign outside the gate and the bottom picture is where you order your drinks- I am taking the picture while standing on the stairs that lead up to the seating area for viewing performances.




On a sad note- during the drive to the Opera House we saw a group of monkeys and one of them got hit by a car in front of us. Traffic stopped and another monkey retrieved the monkey who had been hit (and was very badly injured) from the road and carried him (or her) away. I am telling you all this 2nd hand from my friend who was driving because all I saw were the group of monkeys playing and then one going under the car- from then on, I shut my eyes.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie,
    Your accounts are fascinating. The Opera House sounds delightful. I am on my eighth Alexander McCall Smith book. Each one reveals a little more of the Botswanan culture, portraying it as a pretty nice place!
    I am really sorry the monkey got run over, but how dear to know that "his peeps" took care of him (her?)
    Thanks for keeping us posted.

    ReplyDelete